Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence)
Although today a lot of information is not reached in relation to causes of erectile dysfunction and there are not many treatment options, men are reluctant to express their problems. Patient failing to express his problems to doctors and failing to access sufficient information of obtaining medical aid is not effectively treated.
What is Erectile Dysfunction (Impotence)?
This is a case where male sexual organ fails to reach sufficient hardness and steepness for a satisfactory sexual intercourse and fails to maintain this condition after reaching this situation. This functional disorder is characterized by recurrent and long-lasting nature. In order for proper realization of erection that has a complicated nature, men should need a healthy brain, healthy blood vessels, smooth nerves and sufficient amount of male hormone testosterone.
Some Facts About Erectile Dysfunction
• These persons do not generally have any decrease in their sexual desires against opposite sex and do not have orgasm or ejaculation problems.
• Erectile dysfunction does not mean loss of person's strength, power or fertility.
• This problem is much higher than thought among men.
• While erectile dysfunction is more frequently seen depending on the problems caused by ageing in elderly men (cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, drug use etc.), this can be also seen in young men. For this reason, erectile dysfunction should not be considered as a natural process brought by ageing.
• As previously believed, this disease does not stem only from psychological problems. Even if psychological causes play a role to some extent, analyses conducted demonstrate an underlying organic disorder in substantial portion of patients.
• Erectile dysfunction is a source of psychological stress.
• Medical analyses conducted for diagnosing the problem is not disturbing and has no harmful effect on the body.
• Erectile dysfunction can be treated successfully in vast majority of patients.
What are the causes of erectile dysfunction?
The problem has generally several causes. These can be divided into psychological and organic causes; both factors play a role in some persons. Revealing what factor play a role herein is of utmost importance for detecting treatment because treatment intended for cause should be conducted.
Circulatory System Disorders: These are the most frequently encountered causes. This is characterized by reduction of blood flow delivered to penis or deficiency of the incident of retaining blood within penis for continuation of hardening. Loss of capacity of hardening and expanding of arteries delivered to penis due to arteriosclerosis and diseases leading to vessel stiffness (high cholesterol, diabetes, smoking) are the most common causes.
Nervous System Disorders: Diseases such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis and alcoholism degenerating functions of nerves impair normal functionality of nerves reaching penis.
Surgery and Injuries: Pelvic bone fractures resulting from traffic accidents and spinal cord injuries or cancer operations (prostate, bladder, colon cancer), radiation therapy damage nerve and blood veins delivered to penis and causes erectile dysfunction.
Chronic Diseases: Lung, liver, kidney, heart diseases, excessive smoking and drug abuse. Being on haemodialysis program is a major cause creating erectile problem.
Drugs: Some drugs disrupt nervous system function and causes erectile problem. (High blood pressure, depression, asthma medications, sedatives, etc.)
Hormonal Disorders: Erectile dysfunction and sexual cravings reduction may be seen in thyroid and prolactin hormone irregularities.
Diagnosis can be placed as a result of physician examination, medical story evaluation and laboratory tests. It is investigated with laboratory tests whether there are blood sugar, cholesterol and fat levels, liver and kidney failure. If hormonal disorder is suspected, level of testosterone and other hormones in blood is checked. If needed, Doppler ultrasound test can be conducted for examining blood flows in penis. In some cases, NPTR (Nocturnal Penile Tumescence and Rigidity) test is conducted for examination of nocturnal erections. In addition to this, it is consulted to psychologist and the patient is requested to complete some questioning forms for revealing underlying psychological factors.
What are treatment options for erectile dysfunction?
Treatment may vary according to psychological or organic origin of disease. Drug therapy can be administered. Mechanical vacuum device use and surgical therapies (arterial surgery, venous surgery, penile prosthesis placement (happiness bar) are among other options.
Advises for being protected from erectile dysfunction
Smoking should be quitted, in case of diabetes, checks should not be ignored, if blood cholesterol levels are high, they should be decreased, less alcohol should be used, in case of weight problem, weight should be lost, it should be avoided from stress and tension.